BY LEO BABAUTA
Contemplating on how I want to live recently, I became clear in the last few months that I needed to create more space in my life.
My life is full, which is a wonderful thing — I have lots of people in my life who care about me, want to spend time with me, want to work with me. Amazing!
And yet, it’s become clear to me that in order to show up fully for everyone I’m serving … I need to also have space to replenish. To fill up my tank.
So I set out to create that space.
Here’s how it looks for me at the moment:
- I’m taking Decembers and Junes off, mostly: I had to talk with all of my clients and shift my programs so that I could do this, but it’s happening! It also means I did a bunch of writing ahead of time. I am still doing some work, including creating a new course and setting intentions for 2021, but I’m not doing client calls, webinars or meetings. This month is the first time I’ve ever taken off a full month!
- I cleared Fridays, Saturdays & Sundays: I used to have meetings on Fridays and Saturdays, but now I keep those days clear. I still do some work, but it’s much more spacious and I can take the days completely off if I feel like it.
- I’m leaving the other days more spacious as well: I only do about 3 calls a day (down from 5-6 calls a day at my peak) and I don’t block off every hour anymore, so that I can have a greater sense of spaciousness.
What do I do in those spaces?
Anything I feel like!
Here are some of my more common ways to use the space:
- Head out to nature & spend some time in solitude
- Listen to a podcast
- Read with my kids
- Hang with my wife
- Call my mom, grandma or siblings to catch up
- Read a book
- Reflect on bigger picture stuff
- Take care of chores
- Write a book about my grandmother
- Or do whatever work I feel like
I’ve found that this kind of space is incredibly nurturing, replenishing, life-giving. And so few of us take it for ourselves.
I know that not everyone has this kind of freedom, and I am grateful that I can do it. But I challenge you to see where you’re cutting this possibility off for yourself, and see if you could create it. It might take a few months to create, but if you stand for this possibility for yourself, you might surprise yourself.